Monday, June 23, 2008
My summer dress
I finished Simplicity 3805, the short slip dress. I know it doesn't look much like the pattern envelope, but once I had the muslin made, I saw so much more potential for this dress. The neckline was much too high, especially when I have such a generous décolletage to show off. Also because I had to add a big old dart, there was much too much fabric under the bust. I used an S-dart that I learned about from Threads #107. The fabric is a well aged herringbone rayon. This fabric has great weight and drape. I love the summer print for the dress. I can hardly wait to make more.
I see new style lines all over this pattern for interesting and different dresses. I bet I can make some cute woven tops too. Carolyn has been such an inspiration to me. I've had dress envy for her wardrobe for a long time. She wears dresses with jackets in the office, but I won't wear dresses in the winter because I refuse to wear pantyhose. I can wear sandals and slides in the classroom, so when the weather turns hot, my toes are set free.
My coverstitch machine is broken and I didn't get the tutorial for the cute neckline on my t-shirt remake done. I'll try to get it done soon, I may just have to use a twin needle instead. I'm sure many of you will have to do it that way too, so I'm sure it won't be a problem.