I spent the long weekend doing a little housework and cleaning up the sewing room after sewing up the last batch of UFOs. It's incredible how messy my sewing room becomes. I found a few more UFOs to sew up and got started on them.
This knit top was supposed to be the tank to wear under a matching cardigan. I'm very happy with the way it turned out, but it's not even close to the original plan. I really do need some long sleeved t-shirts so that helped me make the decision to turn this into a t-shirt. This one is a bit dressier than your average t-shirt because of the embroidery. It's an army green interlock knit and it sewed up beautifully.
The reason it didn't turn out to be a tank with a matching cardigan is because something went wrong in the cutting out process. Somehow a big chunk was notched out on one of the sleeves. I don't know how that happened because I can't remember cutting this out. It's at least two years old and probably more. I honestly can't even tell you what pattern I used for the tank. The cardigan pattern was probably the pattern from the brown cardi in my last post that didn't fit me very well. I've decided that it's probably KS 2948 which has a tank pattern included. I don't remember ever making the tank but that might be what this top is from. To make the tank into a top I just sewed in the sleeves from the cardi. To replace the sleeve with the missing chunk I just took the back piece of the cardi and re-cut out a new sleeve.
The back neckline was going to be quite low and I don't like my tops low in the back. To solve this problem I just used a very wide binding. I had a binding cut that I think was supposed to be the front band for the cardi. I have to say, I'm very pleased with how the binding turned out. I was really feeling the love for my coverstitch machine. If you don't already have one, you don't know what you're missing. Ladies, you must save up your pennies and get one.
The coverstitch makes everything look so professional. I really liked how the wide band looked on the neckline so I decided to add them to the sleeve hem as well.
This dress is another UFO I started working on yesterday. I made the dress in August 2007 and I hated it. That is, I hated how it looked on me. It's really a nice dress, lovely fabric, and the Burda WOF pattern 07-2007-125 is really cute too. I even had a discussion about this dress on patternreview where it was decided that the dress was wearing me, not the other way around. On Sunday I removed the sleeves and cut 6-1/2 inches off of them. Then I cut six inches off the length.
I also played around with ways to raise the neckline so I wouldn't have to wear the cami underneath. After sewing it all back together, I decided that I really do like this dress on me. Then I went in to show my husband and son and my son said, "Wow Mom, your new way of eating is really working for you!" That did it, now I really love the dress. I took the picture by myself with the timer so once I get the dress and sleeves hemmed, I'll grab husband and get him to take some good pictures so I can update my review on PR of this pattern.