I didn't get called in to work except for one day this week because of parent conferences. That's the bad news. The good news is that I've been sewing up those UFOs I mentioned in my last post. I managed to get two garments completed this week and another one almost done.
This zipper jacket is from a capsule wardrobe that I planned in the summer of 2008. Click for the storyboard I made of that capsule. I completed both pants to go with it, but the t-shirt was a wadder and I never got the jacket made. The pattern is NL 6609 which I've made before. Last time I made it, it was part of another SWAP where I sewed up the jacket in lime green and white and it was reversible. I'm pretty happy with the fit although I did take a 5/8" wider seam allowance on the sides to get a closer fit after sewing up the jacket. I don't think this garment will fit me for very much longer, so I'm glad I made it up in this season. It's very warm to wear since the fabric is some type of poly/lycra stretch suiting I purchased on sale from EOS at least 4 years ago.
I think the reason I never finished it was because of the way the placement of the fabric design turned out. The repeats lay next to each other on the panels but there was nothing I could do about it, so I think I'll just enjoy it while I can. Another reason I didn't sew it up for the wardrobe capsule is because I didn't know how to insert the zipper. I wanted this top to look like the Loes Hinse's Zipper Jacket but I didn't want to spend the money on the pattern only to have to alter it to fit. I wish I did buy the pattern because then I would have had the directions on how to insert the zipper so that it doesn't show. The only directions for a separating zipper I could find anywhere was for an exposed zipper. Since I wanted to get this top done, that's the instructions I used.
The second garment I completed was this cowl neck top. It's made from the same fabric as the twin set which I made back in November of 2008. I can wear the cardigan with the cowl top for a warmer weather twin set. The pattern is Loes Hinse's Cowl Neck pattern with the cowl significantly reduced in size. The pattern is meant for someone with a much longer neck so I shortened it 4". I really love how this top turned out. I have no idea when I cut this top out or why I never sewed it up.
The last garment I worked on this week was this brown knit RPL cardigan. I'm very unhappy with the fit of this garment. I'm not sure what pattern I used but I have 3-4 cardigan patterns that fit me fairly well, but I don't recognize the tiny band that was cut out for the edge. Maybe that's why I never got it sewn before now. I must have run short of fabric for the band. I'm not sure what to do about a closure for this cardi. I may just use a sweater clip. I think I have a couple in my stash. Anyway, I think I'll cut it a few inches shorter and give it to my neice after I get the hems sewn. I just bought me a new sweater last month in this color, so I don't really need it in my wardrobe. She'll be very happy to get it, I'm sure.