I look forward to spring each year, however, there is one very awful thing that happens in the spring. It's the state testing that all children must take and all teachers must give. This year I've been given six weeks to get the kids ready for the test, and then one week turns out to be spring break. That takes us down to five weeks. Then we spend one week giving the students a mock test to see how they are going to do on the real test. Ut Oh, now we are down to four weeks. My son is a special needs child and I waive him out of all state testing. The school isn't allowed to tell you that your child doesn't have to take the test. The test doesn't benefits your child or my child in any way whatsoever. It's for the state's benefit. It's to measure how well the teachers are following district guidelines so their students can pass the test. Teachers aren't allowed to teach any more, they have to follow a strict pacing guide to cover the topics that will be on the state test. But what if Juanita or Juan don't understand it the first time. No time, gotta keep up with the pacing guide. "Come after school, I might have time to help. What? You have to go home to babysit your little brother? Oh well!" In case you haven't see this, here's a video to let you know how I feel about testing:
OK, now that I've got that out of my system, I can share with you what I just sewed up for spring.
Sorry about the blur. I haven't figured out why my camera does that when I use the timer. In a recent article in Australian Stitches Magazine they discussed this treatment for stretch lace. I took a very pretty lace and channel stitched it onto some cotton lycra. Both are from my stash. It was very boring so I only did the front bodice. The pattern is my TNT t-shirt pattern and the sleeves are from the Ottobre puff-sleeved top. They didn't puff because the armhole is larger in this top. I'm not loving the sleeves, but maybe they don't look that bad? I'm hoping that after I wash out all the temporary spray adhesive that the cut channels will flutter a bit. Because of the diagonal pattern on the lace, I decided to make my channel stitching on the diagonal too. DH said he liked it. Here's a close-up.
It's different and interesting. I might try it again with a vertical channel next time. Anyway, it was a fun technique to try and didn't take much time. I sewed the channels one night and cut out the top and stitched it up the next.
I've neglected to post the fabric I got at Metro Textiles when I was there visiting with Karen, Carolyn, Elizabeth, and Terri. All the fabrics are either rayon or cotton knits. Really the are just some very good staples to have on hand. I have a difficult time finding cotton knits that doesn't cost over $12/yard. The animal print is a stretch lace. I'm thinking about using it for something soon.